Saturday, June 06, 2009

Chasing Jackrabbits

Tonight I was scheduled for 8 miles. I ran around 8 pm in wonderful weather. High 70's. I ran over to Desert Breeze Lake and did loops around the park. A full moon and lots of families finishing picnics, as well as, the cricket players playing under the lights made for a fun run. But the best part came around mile 5. As I turned the corner I spotted about a dozen jackrabbits. Half ran one way, half into the field. So, the race was on. I took off after one rabbit. They are fast. I was between him and home, so he ran south. I tried to keep between him and the goal. After about 10 yards he got enough distance to cut the corner and make it back to his home. They are beautiful animals to watch run.

I made it back home. Switched to my swim shorts and jumped in the pool. Did some laps and pretended to be a tri athlete. After swallowing pool water and Amy opening the door to ask if I was ok, I got out.

This was my first long run for marathon training. 8 miles this week. 9 next week. Legs feel good.

6 comments:

lifestudent said...

We spent a few days in the Phoenix area and the resort was practically smothered in jackrabbit. They were ALL OVER. Those are some fertile creatures.

TNTcoach Ken said...

Way to go Pat! You are back on track....

Unknown said...

That is sure an innovative way to add some speed work to your running. Nice job on the 8-miler and glad to hear your legs are feeling good.

The Boring Runner said...

Wow, I'm going to add that to my list of things that I need to see while i am there. Jackrabbits!

Nice work on the 'brick' workout. Pretty soon you'll be buying wetsuits and goggles.

Unfortunately I'm going to be in Iowa this weekend, so I won't be able to catch race #2 with you. Next time though! We'll get a race together if it takes all summer.

Pokey said...

I think a real triathlete would have done the swim first :)


So do you jump in with all your running clothes on? I certainly do. It's the ONLY thing I remotely enjoy about summer running.

RunninRobin said...

That sounds like such a cool run!!! One question: what would you have done if you caught one??!!