Sunday, October 27, 2013

7 Days and Counting

My second to last run before we head out to New York City. It was a good one.

I ran a 5k. 3.1 miles at my current 5k pace.


 I ran it without any walk breaks. Any every mile was faster than the previous mile.

 I did a training run at the gym of 15 miles about a month ago. At that time I would run 4/10 of a mile (four laps) and then walk 1/10. I kept that up for 15 miles and I felt great the whole time. Jeff Galloway, the former Olympian recommends the RUN-WALK-RUN™ style to remain injury free and to run marathons. He recommends you start your walk intervals immediately. Like in the first mile of a marathon.

I plan on running the marathon just like I ran that 15 miler back in September. Yes, I will do a walk on the Verrazano bridge in the first mile. In 2 of the 3 marathons I've run I've gotten to the 20 mile mark in about 4 hours. But, I then fade badly. I'm hoping this time will be different.

What I didn't train for is hills. NYC is on the ocean. At sea level. Flat, except for the bridges. Or so I thought. I've read lately that there are some hills. It's up hill in Queens and Central Park has hills. Plus, there's five bridges. Verrazano and Queensboro are both over a mile long. You can bet my walk breaks will be on the up hill side of any bridge.

Ex Red Alert: Jonny Gomes just hit a 3 run tater in the World Series.


No comments: