Monday, October 21, 2013

Thirteen Days

Thirteen days until I'm running in the New York City Marathon.



On Saturday I woke up with a sore right knee. My knees never give me an issue. By Sunday afternoon I could barely walk and I was thinking my marathon was over before I had a chance to start. A DNS. I iced and drugged it and now on Monday my knee feels way better.

My last run was on Wednesday. Five days ago. I need to decide if I will try a short run or give it one more day of rest. I'll see how it feels as the day goes on.

This year has been packed with running, but not racing. In February I ran in the Diamondbacks Race Against Cancer 5k. My time wasn't spectacular. Around 35 minutes, but it was faster than I thought it would be.

In April I found out I was accepted in the NYC Marathon. I had applied three times, lost out in the lottery three times and therefore was automatically accepted for 2013. This rule is going away after next year.

I started training and avoiding processed foods. My mileage for April was less than 20 miles. I weighed over 250 lbs. I got my mileage up to over 35 in May, over 60 in June, 80+ in July, About 85 in August and over 100 in September. My weight went down to around 220 today. My long runs went from 8 up to 18 miles. I was very conservative in not adding mileage to quickly and only doing a long run every other week. I didn't do a Higdon plan or a Pfitz. It was my own plan.

Yesterday I was thinking if we should cancel the trip all together or go to NYC, but watch the marathon. Today, I'm thinking I'll run and finish the darn thing.

NYC Marathon course




(Is anyone out there? Yeah, I know I haven't posted on my blog since October of 2011. I don't expect any readers, but I do want to start documenting my running history again.)

No comments: