Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Santa Monica 5000

Amy planned this 3 day visit to see two colleges in the LA area for our daughter. The day before I checked to see if there were any races that weekend. The Long Beach Marathon was scheduled, but since I ran a marathon a week ago, I didn't think that would be a good idea. Then, I saw it. The Santa Monica 5000. A 5k race just minutes from our hotel on Sunday morning.

It was a bit overcast and in the low 60's at the start of the race. About 800 runners were planning on running the 5k that started south of the pier, looped around and thru the downtown section and then past the pier for another loop to finish at the pier.

I did it around 33 minutes. Not anywhere near a PR, but it was fun anyway. The cool Ed Hardy shirts were given after the race at the small expo on the pier. My daughter knew who Ed Hardy was. I had no clue.

Below are a few pics from our LA trip. First is one of the Japanese Gardens north of Santa Monica. We, also went to Little Tokyo in downtown LA.

A sailboat at Santa Monica beach.
Running past the Santa Monica Pier. The shirt I got is like the one the lady is wearing.

Hey, that's the ocean out there.



Me at the finish. I need to practice putting my bib on straight.



5 comments:

Irene said...

I like unplanned races like that, especially in places that offer such great scenery.

lifestudent said...

That actually sounds like a lot of fun! I have never done anything like that (an "unplanned race" as Irene says) that wasnt local. Now you have inspired me to try it out!

Pat said...

I try to run a race on every vacation. I've been know to try and reschedule vacations to fit a race in.

TNTcoach Ken said...

Practice makes perfect!!!!!!! Ha

The Boring Runner said...

HA - what you need to do is to work on taking pictures with a bit of a lean to them so that your bib looks straight!

Calling a race a 5000 instead of a 5k makes it sound MUCH cooler. People should really start doing that more.

How were the colleges?