Saturday, February 17, 2007

Half Marathon Two - The Lost Dutchman Marathon

In about 12 hours I will be running on this road in my second half marathon this year. Heck, my second half marathon ever. My bib number is 2634. I wasn't very nervous for the Rock N' Roll last month, this time I am. My left knee is still bothering me, but not when I run. I didn't get to do as much mileage between half's as I wanted to, but I did get one 10 miler in. I'm sure I'll be fine. I think.





The RnR was an in city race. The views were of buildings, strip joints and fast food restaurants. The Lost Dutchman is in Apache Junction. It's one of my favorite names for a city. We'll run towards the Superstition Mountains and turn around returning the same way we came. The view at the end is the picture above. The marathoners will join us for their final 6.55 miles to the finish. There will also be the 10k'ers and other runners finish their runs.







This is the Superstitions. The story goes that there was a dutchman, Jacob Waltz who found a gold mine in the Superstitions way back when. He would sneak up into the mountains every so often to retrieve some of the gold, but he would never tell anyone where the gold mine was. On his death bed, he told his best friend where to find the gold. Of course, that friend never could find it. Hence, the mine is what's lost, not the dutchman.

Race report to follow. Oh by the way. I ran the RnR in 2:48. I want to under 2:40 for this race.

2 comments:

J~Mom said...

Good luck Pat!! The pics of the mountain are just gorgeous! I think you will do great today!

Anonymous said...

hope it is going/went well!!!