Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Softball and running

I play softball on Friday nights. One night I hit a ball in the gap and ran from home to home as fast as I could. I hestitate to call it a home run, because the outfielders played a large part in slowly getting to the ball. They probably should consider running too.

Anyway, after my big hit I got to the bench and was breathing about as hard as I ever have. I was fine, I just could not get enough oxygen into my lungs. I've had this problem my whole life. I remember it well in high school football. Back then, I just assumed I was out of shape. But, it's more than that. I have exercised induced asthma and my airways just don't open up like other peoples do. I stop running because I need to breath more than because my legs hurt or I mentally need to stop.

After the softball games I started to stick around and run in the grass out past the home run fence. It is about 1/10 of a mile from foul pole to foul pole in a nice slow arc. I can run, watch some softball and run some more. I like it because the grass is softer than the roads and it gives me something to watch. My feet and legs don't hurt nearly as much either. I still plan to buy some good running shoes.

pat

No comments: