Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A Ballplayer goes to Heaven (not to be confused with Cory Lidle)

A few years ago I got the itch to play softball again. I rounded up a bunch of guys and we had a team. Most of us didn't know each other. I was the coach. It just happened that I assembled a pretty good bunch of guys. We all had different occupations, lived in different parts of the city and most probably would have never of met.

Patrick Sullivan was one of the players. In his early 40's, he loved softball and his family would come out to watch us play. He was a lefty with a lot of power. We'd like it when he'd hit those line drives into right field. He'd pitch for us, play some outfield and even played short for us. It was a little challenging for a lefty, but he would pull it off more times than not.

Yesterday, he died from cancer.

He's been fighting it for the past year. I guess he held on until his beloved Padres finished their season. Of course, lately he has not been able to play the game he loved.

Now, I guess he's leading off and playing short for some team up above. God Bless you, Patrick Sullivan.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about your friend. I pray he's in a better place. He'll surely provide some inspiration for you as you run.