Saturday, October 27, 2007

39th Annual YMCA Half Marathon

This week I really tried to watch my calories and I think I got a bit dehydrated too. This morning was the 39th Annual Downtown YMCA Half Marathon and I wanted to make sure my fueling was just right. I woke up at 5:20 am and ate a peanut butter and banana sandwich. I forget who, but that's someone's sandwich of choice on race morning. You know who you are. I packed 4 gels. Three of them were Carb Booms, which I was trying for the first time. One was a PowerBar double espresso gel, which I really like. None of it helped.

As you can see on the chart, I bonked at around 9 miles. We started in South Mountain Park and immediately got on the street and left the park. The first mile and a half was downhill. It was hard to hold back and I was running some of it below a 9 minute pace. I slowed down and hoped I could conserve my energy, since I had to climb this hill on the way back.
Here's a view of some of the runners visiting vendor tents before the races.


Running out of the park you pass the horse stables.

And Scorpion Gulch. This isn't used anymore. I guess you could call it an abandoned tourist trap. About two miles into the run we got off Central Avenue and onto the canal. The asphalt was not in good shape all along the canal, but we did have great views of the mountains to the south and downtown Phoenix to the north. I ate my gels at 3, 6 and 9 miles. On the way back I got to talk with several runners. This kept me occupied, but I was feeling fatigue in my calfs around mile 9 and was reduced to walking. Two weeks ago I felt great the entire run. I think I started this race dehydrated and it just got worse until my legs felt like lead. I walked more than I ran the final three miles. Going up hill into the park you run along the open street and in car after car you see runners eating bagels, drinking Gatorade looking into your eyes and feeling your pain. They finished along time ago, I still had some unfinished business.
And since this was a training run of 14 miles, I knew I would have to do 9/10 of a mile after the finish line. I turned left into the Parks parking lot and I could see the finish line and 3 runners in front of me running, but running slow. I decided that I wasn't going to walk across the finish line. And, if possible I was going to pass the other runners. I kicked it in gear. Checking my garmin later I see that my pace went all the way down to 4:54 at the finish line. I passed two of the runners easily and the third one I passed with the official at the end pointing toward me. I passed her too.

What did I get for my troubles?



An apple and some Gatorade. My garmin said I finished 13.1 in 2:46:30. The official time was 2:49:05. Either way, far from my PR of last week. Afterwards I went home, showered and took my daughter and wife to the SOMA Triathlon Expo at Tempe Beach Park.


Tomorrow, if I get up I will go to the triathlon.

And yes, after the race I got my mileage for the day up to 14, the longest I've ever ran.



7 comments:

Pokey said...

Nice job Pat! Something must have been up...I know you can knock down the 13.1 with no problem any day of the week!

Congrats on the 14 miles...you are well on your way to RNR buddy!

Be in spirt with Lisa and I in about an hour when we try to knock down another 8. If the 8 doesnt kill me, I MAY.....MAYBE.....just MIGHT....try for the 10. *GASP*

J~Mom said...

I see my buddy is up and ready to go! :>)

Pat, it was really warm yesterday! I was roasting on the soccer field! You got that training run in and while it wasn't a PR it was still a great time!!! Great job!!!!!

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Awesome run Pat. If you get to Soma look for this guy he is doing the 1/4 Iron

http://www.couchpotato-to-ironman.blogspot.com/

Irene said...

Peanut butter and banana sandwich? Hmmmm, that sounds yummy! I'll have to try that.

I'm very impressed that you are always half marathon ready. That's a great way to be!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

My Life said...

14 miles - that's so great! You are well on your way, marathon runner!

Unknown said...

Your spread looks pretty good. Our Y served pizza after the half this year. By the time I got there it was picked over and cold - yuck.
My mom always sends pictures of her plate from costa Rica, so your pic of the buffet made me laugh.

Nancy said...

Great job getting through it and even getting yourself to finish strong. Way to go. This has been the hardest thing for me, how do you do this to try to lose weight and have enough energy to still do it? I don't know yet, but hope to get back on the wagon tomorrow AM. I have been so bad.

Your weight loss is inspiring!