Friday, February 06, 2009

Books and Chicken Soup on a cold winter's nite

Setting the Table: The Transforming Power of Hospitality in Business Setting the Table: The Transforming Power of Hospitality in Business by Danny Meyer



My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars


It's a business book about hospitality in the restaurant business. His restaurants in NYC include Union Square Cafe, The Modern at MoMA, Gramercy Park, Blue Smoke, Tabla and the Shake Shack. I like to read books about customer service and hospitality because it helps me to be a better REALTOR.

He calls it the final chapter or what you do to make up for a mistake. He says to do something creative after a goof, so that the client telling about how you screwed up will, also, have to include how you rectified the situation.


View all my reviews.

The Complete Persepolis The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi



My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
Satrapi is an Iranian woman that grew up during the Islamic Revolution (1980's). The book is written in comic book form. A first for me. My wife recommended it and I read it in three days. A good book that I probably wouldn't have read otherwise. Give me a book and tell me to read it and I'll at least make an attempt. I'm easy that way.




View all my reviews.

I just started keeping track of books in Goodreads. It's a website that will recommend, list and keep track of books read and books you plan to read. It lets you write a review and you can make that public for your friends and family to read.





Chad had mentioned that he helped make the final selections for "Chicken Soup for the Baseball Fan's Soul" , a book that I have been reading for some time now. It's a collection of heartwarming stories about baseball in people's lives. From little league to big league, from fans to players. It's the kind of book you read in spurts.


I went to the website to see if they have a "Chicken Soup for the Runner" book. They have one in the works and are looking for submissions. Yes, you can write a story about your running and it might be included in a future book. They, also, have one planned for diet and fitness.


The Chicken Soup website has a list of all their books, lists future books and you can even get a daily chicken soup story.


Speaking of book projects, another one of note is at Runner's Lounge. Amy & Tom are collecting stories to put into a book.

No comments: