Thursday, August 23, 2007

Obrats Asked


Obrats asked how my HR readings from my polar compared to the same on my garmin. Remember I wore both at the same time.


I turned my polar on several minutes before the garmin, while I was still in the house. For 29 minutes it gave me a reading of 131 average and a high of 165.


My garmin was activated in my driveway as I started my run. For about 24 minutes it gave me a reading of 144 average, with a high of 159.


I can understand that the 5 minutes my polar was on at the beginning my heart rate was probably in the 50-70 BPM range and that would lower the average. My only guess as to why I got a higher reading is at the end of my run. I turn my garmin off as I am running, then I probably turned my polar off during the cooldown walk. The last minute of my run my heart rate went up 7 BPM. It probably went up some more after I hit stop on the garmin.
My guess is that they are fairly accurate. Since I have found out how to enlarge the HR reading on my garmin, I won't be wearing both any longer.
***
By the way, if you haven't visited Obrats blog, you should. Read it from the earliest posts to the present. He is inspiring. Lost lots of weight and he's really built up his running. I wish I could do the under 30 minute 5k's he regularly posts.
Anyone else have an interesting question about my posts or running in general, ask me. I'll give you my take on it.

5 comments:

bigmike600 said...

You have come a long way too Pat. I remember reading your blog from early last year. Dan has done great too and his times in the 5K are smokin. Well compared to mine at least. I would love to go sub 28 at least once in my life, but in the words of Scotty..."I'm givin her all she got captain"

Nice streak of exercising too.

Unknown said...

Which Garmin do you have? I've been looking in to getting the Forerunner 305 and have heard nothing but great things about it. How do you like yours?

Great job with the runs.

Marcy said...

I'm curious about the 305 too. I need a new Garmin LOL

J~Mom said...

Pat, I will email you the info. I am surprised you don't have it It's not far from your house and I think you will want to go!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shoutout to Obrats - you are right - very inpsiring.